Sick fund



The Fund pays out a percentage of wages lost due to illness and for maternity leave in the case of a female employee.

The Fund does not pay for medical expenses. 

Who pays for the Sick Pay Fund?

The employer contributes towards the Fund, the Fund replaces the sick leave provisions of the Basic Conditions of Employment Act and is therefore the employer’s responsibility. 

How do I qualify for sick pay?

  • You must be employed in the building industry in the Western Cape.
  • You must have at least 18 weekly (90 daily) contributions.
  • A sick certificate must accompany your claim. Issued by a registered doctor, dentist etc.
  • Payment can only be made to the employee if a valid tax reference number and bank statement of the employee is supplied to the BIBC.

What does the sick pay fund pay?

The employee receives 80% of the basic wage for the first 10 days in a year. Thereafter the employee will receive 33% of the basic wage from the 11th to the 20th day for the same year.

Employees that have more than 10 years’ contributions will qualify for an additional 5 days at 80%, thus the first 15 days a year will be paid at 80% of the basic wage and they will receive 33% from the 16th day to the 20th day.

In addition, if an employee is on maternity leave the fund will pay 33% of her of her wage as per the last contribution code wage category for a maximum period of 120 days.

The BIBC would like to caution you that should you wish to claim more than 20 days per Benefit year, the Fund requires proof (in the form of a medical doctor certificate) that you are suffering from one of the following dread diseases.

Heart Attack, Stroke, Coronary Artery Disease requiring surgery, Cancer, Kidney Failure, Fulminant Viral Hepatitis, Major Organ Transplant, Paralysis / Paraplegia, Multiple Sclerosis,  Primary Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension, Blindness, Heart Valve Replacement, Surgery to Aorta, Alzheimer's Disease / Irreversible Organic Degenerative Brain Disorders, Major Burns, Coma, Terminal Illness, Parkinson’s Disease, Chronic Liver Disease, Chronic Lung Disease, Major Head Trauma, Aplastic Anaemia, Muscular Dystrophy, Tuberculosis (Only if In-Hospital treatment is required), Benign Brain Tumour, Encephalitis, Poliomyelitis, Brain Surgery, Spinal Surgery, Bacterial Meningitis, Other Serious Coronary Artery Disease, Apallic Syndrome, Full Blown AIDS.

Please note that individual cases will be considered on a case to case basis, therefore if you suffer from a disease other than the above; please submit the proof to the BIBC for submission to the Committee. 

Why is a sick certificate required?

The certificate identifies the actual date the employee saw the doctor for the first time. The fund only pays from this date.

The diagnosis should be clearly indicated on the certificate otherwise the claim will not be processed. The certificate will only be valid if issued by a registered doctor, hospital or clinic.

What are the exclusions?

The diagnosis is required as the following conditions are excluded:

  • Self inflicted injuries
  • Drug abuse
  • Alcohol abuse
  • Family responsibility leave
  • Injuries covered under the Occupational Injuries and Diseases Act, 1993

How to claim?

You can claim by submitting a standard sick fund claim form obtainable from the Council offices or on our website. One part must be completed by the employer and one part is to be completed by the employee.  The form may be handed in, posted, faxed or emailed.

Postal Address: Private Bag X29
Fax Number: (021) 950 7403
Emaill Address: sickfundThis email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Sick fund claim member number





How and when do I get paid?

Payment will be made via an electronic transfer.  Electronic payments in respect of claims received by 10h30 will be transferred into the employees bank account on the same day.  If it is a FNB account, the money will be available on the same day, with any other bank it could take up to a maximum of 2 days.

Employers may deliver, fax or email  claim forms together with the medical certificates.