The BIBC views protecting and respecting your privacy and personal information as a critical business requirement and we take it very seriously.
By providing us with your personal information, you agree to this Policy and authorise the BIBC to process such information (and/or by third parties where applicable) for the purposes set out herein.
The BIBC will not use your personal information for any other purpose than that which is set out in this Policy, and we will take the necessary steps to secure the integrity and confidentiality of such personal information in our possession and under our control, by taking appropriate and reasonable measures to prevent loss of, damage to or unauthorised destruction of your personal information and to prevent the unlawful access to or processing of personal information.
In keeping with the prescribed conditions that apply to a Bargaining Council for the lawful processing of personal information as set out in the Protection of Personal Information Act no. 4 of 2013 ("POPIA"), the BIBC:
- accepts responsibility and accountability, jointly with you, to responsibly manage and protect your personal information when providing our services to you;
- will collect and process only such personal information which is required in terms of its mandate and the legal and contract purposes for collecting that data. We will always respect your right to revoke your consent for the processing of your personal information;
- will only use your personal information for the purpose for which the information is essential to enable us to assist you or provide services to you;
- will not share or further process your personal information with anyone or for any reason if not required for providing services to you or as required in terms of legislation or regulations;
- will take all reasonable measures to ensure that information is complete, accurate, not misleading and, updated where required;
- will be fully forthcoming on the nature, extent, and requirements for processing personal information;
- undertakes to safeguard and protect your personal information in our possession;
- will freely confirm what personal information we have of you in our possession, update and rectify the personal information upon request, and keep it for no longer than required.
Please see below for further information relating to POPIA.
When do we collect information?
We collect information from you when you subscribe to a newsletter, respond to a survey, fill out a form or enter information on our site.
How do we use your information?
We may use the information we collect from you when you sign up for our newsletter, respond to a survey or marketing communication, surf the website, or use certain other site features in the following ways:
- to personalize the user's experience and to allow us to deliver the type of content in which you are most interested;
- to improve our website in order to better serve you;
- to administer a survey or other site feature;
- to speedily process your requests;
- to periodically send emails with information relevant to you.
How do we protect visitor information?
- Our website is scanned on a regular basis for known vulnerabilities in order to make your visit to our site as safe as possible.
- We use regular Malware Scanning.
- Your personal information is contained behind secured networks and is only accessible by a limited number of persons who have special access rights to such systems, and are required to keep the information confidential.
- We implement a variety of security measures when a user submits, or accesses their information to maintain the safety of your personal information.
Do we use 'cookies'?
Yes. Cookies are small files that a site or its service provider transfers to your computer's hard drive through your Web browser (if you allow) that enables the site's or service provider's systems to recognize your browser and capture and remember certain information. We may also use trusted third-party services that track this information on our behalf.
- Understand and save user preferences for future visits.
- Compile aggregate data about site traffic and site interactions in order to offer better site experiences and tools in the future.
You can choose to have your computer warn you each time a cookie is being sent, or you can choose to turn off all cookies. You do this through your browser (like Internet Explorer) settings. Each browser is a little different, so look at your browser's Help menu to learn the correct way to modify your cookies.
If you disable cookies off, some features will be disabled which may affect your users' experience and site efficiency, and some of our services may not function properly.
Third Party Disclosure
We do not sell, trade, or otherwise transfer to outside parties your personally identifiable information unless we provide you with advance notice. This does not include website hosting partners and other parties who assist us in operating our website, conducting our business, or servicing you, so long as those parties agree to keep this information confidential. We may also release your information when we believe release is appropriate to comply with the law, enforce our site policies, or protect our or others' rights, property, or safety. However, non-personally identifiable visitor information may be provided to other parties for marketing, advertising, or other uses.
We do not include or offer third-party products or services on our website.
South African Protection of Information Act, 2013, also known as POPIA
To promote the protection of personal information processed by public and private bodies; to introduce certain conditions so as to establish minimum requirements for the processing of personal information; to provide for the establishment of an Information Regulator to exercise certain powers and to perform certain duties and functions in terms of this Act and the Promotion of Access to Information Act, 2000; to provide for the issuing of codes of conduct; to provide for the rights of persons regarding unsolicited electronic communications and automated decision making; to regulate the flow of personal information across the borders of the Republic; and to provide for matters connected therewith.
According to POPIA, we agree to the following:
- Users can visit our site anonymously.
- Users are able to change their personal information:
- By emailing us, or
- By calling us
How does our site handle do not track signals?
We honour do not track signals and do not track, or plant cookies when a Do Not Track (DNT) browser mechanism is in place.
Does our site allow third-party behavioral tracking?
It's also important to note that we do not allow third-party behavioral tracking.
Any additional information or concerns can be referred to the Information Regulator below. Please don't hesitate to contact us first to discuss any questions or concerns you may have.
Tel: 012 406 4818
Last Edited on 2022-10